Eastview teachers use a traditional grading scale to determine end-term grades. Student grade point average is determined by calculating the average of all quarter grades earned. All courses are included except those for which a P (Pass), NC (No Credit) or NG (No Grade) is assigned. There are no weighted grades in the grade point average calculation (per district policy).
|NC/No Credit||Not calculated|
|NG/No Grade||Not calculated|
Students may take one .75-credit course each quarter (for a total of 3 credits per year) on a “Pass/Grade” basis. This option is to encourage students to explore interests in a subject and challenge themselves without the risk of receiving a low grade that will negatively impact their cumulative GPA.
Students must talk with their teacher, counselor and parent/guardian and submit the online form by the Friday of mid-term week (Q1 = Oct 6, Q2 = Dec 15, Q3 = Mar 1, Q4 = May 10). Upon completion of the course, students may choose between P/Grade earned at end of the term if they earn 60% or higher in the course (default will be to post grade earned unless a student requests the P; it is the student's responsibility to request a P if desired). A failing grade (below 60%) will result in an F. Students must complete all major assessments/assignments and engage in daily learning activities to be eligible for the P option.
Please read each bullet point carefully:
- In order to choose the Pass (P) option, students are expected to take all major assessments and engage in daily class work and learning activities throughout the entire quarter.
- At the end of the quarter, students may elect to take either the letter grade earned or the Pass (P) option.
- A Pass (P) will NOT be averaged into a student's GPA.
- A Pass (P) in a Honors or AP class will make it ineligible for inclusion in a student's honors designation courses and may result in the loss of an honors designation upon graduation.
- Removal from a course or dropping a course after the deadline (Q1 = Oct 7, Q2 = Dec 16, Q3 = Mar 3, Q4 = May 12) will result in an F for the course; students will be assigned to a study hall for the remainder of the quarter.
- The NCAA will recognize a Pass (P) as a "D-" grade in any core academic class when determining academic eligibility.
- A failing grade (below 60%) will result in an F.
Academic Achievement Recognition:
Students in grades 9-12 at Eastview High School will be eligible for academic achievement awards in one or more of the following categories:
Category 1: Academic Lettering Students in grades 9-12 will be awarded an academic letter based on the attainment of a specified GPA during a specified period of time. Students must meet ONE of the following criteria:
a) Attainment of a "cumulative GPA" as follows (measured after the third quarter each year):
- 9th graders: 3.800 or higher
- 10th graders: 3.666 or higher
- 11th graders: 3.666 or higher
- 12th graders: 3.500 or higher
b) Four consecutive quarters with a quarter GPA = 3.666 or higher (measured during any four consecutive quarters within or across grade levels).
Category 2: Improvement in Quarter GPA Students in grades 9-12 who show at least a .75 improvement in their quarter GPA (from one quarter to the next, within or across grade levels) will be awarded a letter of recognition for this achievement.